Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Mountains and Valleys

Today was my first day of the year back at the center. It started out pretty well. I was at the top of my game starting out. I brought Samantha with me today, and we began our morning by counting some money from a fundraiser that they needed sorted and rolled. Sam learned a lot while she helped me with it. She learned her pennies, nickles, dimes, and quarters. We did some simple math while we added the money. She learned to roll change and how to use a sorting machine. We took our own sweet time, and she really enjoyed it. She was serving and learning at the same time, two of the most important things.

After that, I made some calls to places that I will be speaking at this month for Sanctity of Human Life Month. The first place is a church. The other I just called today and offered to help and she told me she would like me to speak at their Memorial Service at the Memorial for the Unborn. She is going to get back with me soon, so that is exciting!

I also worked on a pamphlet for Sanctity of Human Life Month (SHLM-because I am tired of typing it over and over) with another lady who works at the center. She is not very computer savvy, so we got in some talk time and worked together on that. We also talked about having a Walk for Life in April. (For Abortion Recovery Awareneness Month.) I told her I would Love to help her organize it. (She is the fundraising coordinator.) So we are going to start working on that soon.

Now time for the valley...I serve on Thursdays, so when they have a girl call in who is "abortion minded," they try to schedule her on Thursday-or on a day that the lady I work with for the post abortive study is there. (We will just call her K so I don't have to keep saying "the lady I work with for the post abortive study.")

Today I had my first client actually show up. I have had other abortion-minded clients scheduled to come in and talk and they were all no shows. But this lady showed up. I was super nervous because I had never spoken to anyone before, but the ladies I work with are super supportive. They just kept reminding me, "For it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you." Matthew 10:20 I went in with confidence.

I obviously can't give any real details about her or her background-client confidentiality. But she was abortion minded. Her test was positive, so I went to talk to her, and she was extremely unresponsive. She had her mind made up, and there was no changing it. I had to let her go...I sent some material with her about prenatal development and post abortive stress syndrome. (I saw her reading it when I was out of the room, so maybe that is a good sign.) I will call to check on her next week.

I left the room crying and shaking hysterically. I thought I would be able to hold it together, but as soon as I left and saw our center director, I just feel into her arms sobbing. That was my first chance, and I ruined it. There are no practice rounds in this area of serving. I should have been more prepared.

But the women at the center, again, are so supportive. They reminded me that it isn't my fault and that God had it all planned before any of it happened. He knows what he is doing with her life and the life of the child inside her. (Doesn't make me hurt for either of them any less.)

I stayed for awhile after that and I talked to each one of the women at the center for awhile. I got some pointers from all of them. They told me about some of the times that they weren't successful. And they told me about the times that they were. They reassured me that there will be a day where I experience that, and that it will all be worth it.

But you know what, I know the Lord was with me-the whole day, but especially when I was in the counseling room. I was a new person today. I was more confident today. I was able to talk without being shy. I was able to assert myself and joke with the other ladies at the center and have fun. (In turn, Samantha was more outgoing as well. She really enjoyed herself at the center a lot more than usual.) And when it came time to talk to the lady I met with, I was able to look her in the eye and speak clearly. (Something I was nervous about not being able to do when it came time.) There were a few times where I lost my train of thought, went blank, and got a little bit nervous, but I stopped, took a breath, and continued. I really liked who I saw in the mirror today. I think that God is really doing a work in me so that I can do what he has called me to do.

Please play for that woman and the child inside of her. I can't say her name, but God knows who she is.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you and Samantha can do this together...that she can serve and learn at the same time and learn about the value of LIFE! What a precious way to honor and remember Lucy together!

    Ahh, it is SO exciting that you will be speaking at two places this month - I really hope to hear the audio or see a video of it. What an honor to speak at NMU! :)

    What will the Walk in April be like? That's a wonderful idea!

    I am sorry you had this experience and I am sure it was really tough to deal with...but rest in knowing that the Lord brought her in there for a purpose and specifically chose for YOU to be the one to talk with her. I am sure He has things He desires to teach you through this. Don't ever feel like it was your fault or that you ruined anything if somebody doesn't choose life. Know that sometimes you will see the fruit of your prayers and faithfulness and sometimes you won't...but we must continue pressing on!

    I am praying for this woman, her heart, and her baby...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not think of anything better to do. I have a passion for it, and I know Samantha may not as she gets older. (Although she may since she will have a personal connection through her sister.) But until she finds her passion, she will definitely be learning the Value of Life.

    I hope they take audio or video too, but most importantly I hope they call back next week like they said they would! I am getting nervous with the "deadline" approaching. I figured they would call back by Thursday afternoon or Friday.

    We have not worked on any of the details yet, mostly decided that we were going to do it and when and that I will do all the computer work for it. She will do the calling and advertising. It just bothers me, for the center to have been running so long, they don't do a whole lot to promote LIFE, other than talking to clients and helping them out. But until I came, they didn't do anything post abortion and they don't do anything for Sanctity of Human Life Month or a walk or anything...But they have never had anybody who wanted to do that stuff either, so it makes sense.

    I am sure you are right. There has to be a reason. I did the same thing. I knew what I was going to do when I went to the center. I don't know what I was thinking...why I called them. I really don't, but it made a huge difference later on.

    Thank you. I have been asking for lots of prayers for her. I hope she makes the right decision. I hate to see somebody go through it once, and I can't imagine going through it twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Samantha will have a passion for it as she gets older!

      Geez, I hope they've called you back by now! That's odd that they are taking so long! They should know you need time to prepare...

      That is weird that the Center hasn't done more stuff to promote LIFE since they've been going a long time...maybe that's one of the reasons the Lord brought you there!

      Delete